Sunday, September 8, 2013

A New Take On Pulled Pork


Usually I make pulled pork with a barbecue sauce for flavour but I wanted to switch it up a little bit this week when I made my batch of pulled pork.

In my house we use pulled pork for everything. It is amazing low carb treat to have around, you can use it for anything. I add it to my omelettes, on top of my keto pizzas, for a treat I even make a yam fries pulled pork poutine (this is a cheat day homemade recipe that is not crazy in carbs but perfect for reloading).

Here is my new pulled pork recipe. It is a little different, but the procedure is pretty much the same. The only thing that is different is that you add all of the sauces while you cook it, after the eight hours slow cooking it is done!

I don't like to blog recipes that involve using Frankenfood syrups (because not everyone can swing by their local supermarkets and find them), but this pulled pork was too good not to share.

Ingredients:
-1.5-2 kg of pork shoulder
-2 Tablespoons of yellow mustard
-1/4 Cup of sodium soy sauce (I did not bother with low sodium, I used the lowest carb one I could find)
-2-3 Tablespoons of maple syrup (again use the lowest carb one you can find, I used Walden Farms Pancake Syrup)
-2 Tablespoons of olive oil (next time I am going to try coconut oil)
-2 Tablespoons of hot sauce
-2 Teaspoons of garlic powder or salt
-2 Tablespoons of water
-A dash of salt and pepper

Procedure:
1. Place meat in slow cooker.
2. Add all liquids except water to the slow cooker over the meat.
3. Add all spices to the meat.
4. Add water over the meat.
5. Slosh the meat around in the sauce.
6. Cook on low heat for 8 hours, stir and stab the meat every couple of hours.

Nutritional Information (makes about 8 servings with 1.5kg of meat)
Calories: 246
Fat: 12.6g
Carbohydrates: 0.6g
Fiber: 0.1g
Sugar: 0.5g
Protein: 31.05g