Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Personal Pies


This is still a work in progress... Thanksgiving Day I was jones-ing for pies and this was my best option at the time with the amount of ingredients I had around the house. I will be the first to admit these pies are a work and progress, not exactly a traditional replacement for pies. But, I will continue to make them tastier... I would love a low carb fruit personal pie (it is my current project).

Add some sugar free whipped cream and these pies should hit the spot in a pie craving. 

This recipe should make four personal pies. 

I found my Wilton personal pie presses at the dollar store, I am betting you can also find them at Bed Bath and Beyond. 







Crusts
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg (for egg wash)
  1. Combine almond flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture, large chunks that look should form. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I used a non-stick pan greased with coconut oil to bake these pies. 
  3. Spread pie crust over press, or into pan. I used Wilton 'Mini Pie Presses' to make my personal pies. 
  4. Fill the inside of the personal pie with 2 tablespoons of filling.
  5. Brush dough edges with egg wash.
  6. Bake or fry your personal pies. I baked mine for 15 minutes. 
Filling
1/2 90% dark chocolate bar
2 tablespoons of unsweetened almond butter
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of sweetener (this time I used boxed Twin)
1/2 teaspoon of salt

     1. Chop up chocolate in a medium bowl.
     2. In a sauce pan combine almond butter, cream, sweetener and salt.
     3. Stir until smooth, and the sweetener and salt have dissolved. 
     4. Stir this mixture into chopped up chocolate.
     5. Let sit for 10 minutes.

     6. Refrigerate until ready to use in the pies. 

Nutritional Information:
To Come...